abbikeboard.com

abbikeboard.com

Touring on Motorcycles

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:42 pm 

Rode the '89 to work today and it worked flawlessly. Kind of.

Got it home and shut it off. I hit the start button to put it away for the night, and now I have nothing. Battery is good. The dash is dead. Radio still keeping time. I have an LED voltmeter tied in to the outlets behind the headlight and it's dead too.

I've wiggled the handlebars and all the wiring I can reach w/o tearing it completely down.

If I lived anywhere near a cliff, both the '89 and '97 would be at the bottom of it.......

Post subject: Re: Need help
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:19 pm 

I wiggled the right wiring harness and got it started and put away. Could not get it to happen again. Can't trust it at 5 a.m. either.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:27 am 

It does sound as though there is an intermittent connection, hopefully not a broken wire.
I would check the ignition switch harness which goes to a Brown connector, especially the Yellow/Red wire terminal in the connector which goes from the switch to the main relay.
Also check the large diameter White/Red wire and connector contacts coming from the Battery + and going to the fuse block.
Another usual suspect is the 10 pin connector to the fuse block as sometimes the larger White wire corrodes inside the plastic connector.
I would also disassemble every connector and use some type of electrical grease, such as Grote Ultra-Seal # 99170 Corrosion Preventative Sealant, on the brass terminals if you haven't already done so. I use a small 3cc syringe without the tip to get into and fill the small slots of the female half of the connector housings. Cheap insurance.
Electrical gremlins are a process of search and destroy so be patient when that cliff moves close to your efforts. Sorry I can't be of much help but good luck,
Dave

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 pm 

triton28 wrote:
It does sound as though there is an intermittent connection, hopefully not a broken wire.
I would check the ignition switch harness which goes to a Brown connector, especially the Yellow/Red wire terminal in the connector which goes from the switch to the main relay.
Also check the large diameter White/Red wire and connector contacts coming from the Battery + and going to the fuse block.
Another usual suspect is the 10 pin connector to the fuse block as sometimes the larger White wire corrodes inside the plastic connector.
I would also disassemble every connector and use some type of electrical grease, such as Grote Ultra-Seal # 99170 Corrosion Preventative Sealant, on the brass terminals if you haven't already done so. I use a small 3cc syringe without the tip to get into and fill the small slots of the female half of the connector housings. Cheap insurance.
Electrical gremlins are a process of search and destroy so be patient when that cliff moves close to your efforts. Sorry I can't be of much help but good luck,
Dave

I think it was 3 years ago I went through and believed I put some di-electric grease on all the connectors I could see. I missed a couple. Big, obvious ones at that. The white/clear 10 wire, a smaller brown connector, and a clear 8 wire connector were all in pretty tough shape. I cleaned them up and greased them, but who knows if I actually "fixed" anything. I should give it some credit for breaking down in my driveway rather than somewhere in Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:50 am 

Quote:
I should give it some credit for breaking down in my driveway rather than somewhere in Wisconsin.

Yes the bike seems to be considerate of your locale. As you say it could have been far away on a lonely spot.
I just finished repairing/greasing and labeling a couple of spare harnesses I have and on one I had to open the wrap and fix one hidden wire break. It only showed up when I was doing a continuity test on all the wire runs in the harness and only when I wiggled the harness, otherwise it was checking good. Insidious those electrical gremlins!
Most of the problems I have come across are those damned bayonet type wire splices at the rear end of the harness. More often than not they cut some of the wire strands and also let water in to start the corrosion happening. And of course those 2 connectors I referenced are always in need of coating it seems.
Here's hoping you found the problem.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Voyagers are known to have the issues you speak of. That harness that you wiggled probably has a bad wire in it.
Most of us have already cut the zip tie that holds the harness close to the frame near the front forks to allow more flexibility. I would open that harness and inspect it.

"DIRTFT" Do It Right The First Time
2002 Voyager XII
:CBCGW:

b.gif i.gif l.gif l.gif gif_23.gif n.gif a.gif g.gif y.gif t.gif o.gif o.gif l.gif s.gif gif_21.gif c.gif o.gif m.gif
Cell Phone: Dg3.jpg Dg3.jpg Dg0.jpg - Dg5.jpg Pg1.jpg Dg5.jpg - Dg0.jpg Dg9.jpg Dg3.jpg Dg4.jpg