abbikeboard.com

Touring on Motorcycles

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bridgestone Excedra
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I bought a set. I asked for Dunlop E-4s, but the dealer insisted he couldn't get them. So we went with the Bridgestones which he says he sells a lot of.
I don't think I've ever read about Bridgestones on a Voyager before.

I've only got 500 miles on them, but I like them. Rides straight, smooth, and quiet. I put 40 psi in the rear and 38-40 in the front, just like the E-3s. It is a MAJOR improvement over the Dunlop American Elite I put on last year and tolerated till now. That, quite frankly, is a garbage tire. Hopefully the B'stones last as long as E-3s. Had new bearings put in as well so I should be good for a while.

I did go down the same road as the last post I made about the shaking. It did it again! It came out of it immediately which has to be helped by new tires. It strikes me as odd the only place I've had trouble my last two rides was the exact same place.

Post subject: Re: Bridgestone Excedra
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

It would be interesting to see if any wavein pavement from heavy vehicles. Going around corner in a lean, road imperfections may be magnified and telegraphed up the forks?
Also, speed in corner, condition of motorcycle, driver experience, road conditions all factor in.

"Trust God that you are where you are meant to be."

2001 Voyager ZG1200 (XII) (present)
1984 Voyager ZN1300 (past)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:11 pm 

That's what I run on my Goldwing. I'm curious to hear about your tire wear mileage down the road.
I usually get 10K rear, 12K front. But i don't run the tread off the tire either. Usually a tire change is needed before a trip which requires an earlier change. They do stick to the road great.
Personally Dunlop lacks quality from my experiences with them. mostly didn't like the incomplete rubber vulcanizing and air pockets under tread. Just saw to many of them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:28 pm 

Bridgestone tires are one of the top choices on the Goldwing boards.

I use the 709 on the front of my wing and get 20k to 25k mi from it. (easy to do in Fl.)

Great tire for handling. A cross section cut shows that it is the thickest carcass I have seen on m/c tire.

Do not know what sizes they make for the Voyager's ? 15" is a tough one to find a lot of choices.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ken in NS wrote:
It would be interesting to see if any wavein pavement from heavy vehicles. Going around corner in a lean, road imperfections may be magnified and telegraphed up the forks?
Also, speed in corner, condition of motorcycle, driver experience, road conditions all factor in.

There are no obvious imperfections beyond the normal. I kind of wonder if I’m going too slow. I wasn’t in a hurry either time. I rode much harder earlier in the day both times.i don’t know.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I hope I get more than 10k out of a $300 dollar tire. It’s the same price as a Dunlop and I never experienced any trouble with traction wet or dry with an E-3.

No worries, it won’t stop raining long enough to rack up many miles and my right fork is leaking oil now. I tried the Sealmate tool and that didn’t help at all. I don’t know the average life of fork seals, but I’ve put 100k on it now. Seems acceptable to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I would say you have had real success with fork seals having that high a mileage on them.
They certainly held up well. Too bad the Sealmate didn't work this time, I guess they have had it.
Oh well, ongoing maintenance is a necessary evil.
Which B'stones did you get? I certainly hope you DO get much more than 10 thou from the tyre. Please let us know how they work out for you as the miles roll by.
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Excedra Max tires are what I bought.

Changed forks out today. I installed the set off the '98 I parted out.. I left the snap rings for the air collar on the forks after I parted the forks. Turns out the snap rings for the cap on top of the fork springs is different. different part number anyway. When I put the forks in this morning I put one set of air collar snap rings up on the caps. Didn't realize it until I was all done and cleaning up and had an extra set of snap rings. It was hard to read, but Partshark gave different part numbers, so I put the bigger (barely) set up on the cap. Always something.

I put Dexron VI in the forks as I have that here. Took it out for a test ride and was reminded how they performed when still on the '98. They are stiffer than the original forks. Both sets have Progressives. When coming to a stop the front end will drop and not come back up until I take off again. These forks aren't nearly as active as the ones I took off. It's noticeably rougher ride, but not a deal breaker.

The '89 is such a better machine in everry way it makes me puke I paid a premium for the '98.

I should add the '98 forks aren't leaking. Yet. I did 200 miles today and they aren't leaking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It would be interesting to see high mileage on the Bridgestones. Those were all I ran on the ZRX. Mine were the Batlax Bridgestones and the most I could get on them was 5,000 miles but other than that they were excellent tires. I wish more manufacturers would make a quality tire for touring bikes. I personally will never go with a car tire.

Previous Owner 2000 Honda Nighthawk 750- Sold
Previous Owner 1982 Honda 200 Twin Star- Sold
Previous Owner 1968 Yamaha 180 Street Srambler- Gone to motorcycle heaven.
Previous Owner 1966 Wards Riverside Fireball SS450 (50cc) Also gone to motorcycle heaven.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It was one of the top 5 touring tires according to some magazine web site but so were the Elite 4 tires. Low miles seems to be a constant.