It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two words
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Night

Mare.

Night, of course, being a time of darkness.
Mare being a girl horse. The most troublesome sort of horse.

So, for the past week my "89 has been the horse of darkness.

This weekend I finally got around to doing the more serious parts. All donor parts came off the '98. I did the pickup coils, ignition coils, and the ignitor. I did not change the plug wires.
some things I noticed were:

The ignitor that was on the '89 would get considerably warmer than both the '97 and the one off the '98. Problem?
The pickup coil housing on the '89 had a line of corrosion on it like it had been submerged or something. What struck me the most was the corrosion was pink. Never seen that before.
I failed to get dielectric grease on two connectors a few years back when I thought I did them all. The harness coming off the right handlebar controls (kill switch) has two connectors at the end of it and it was a bear getting them apart. Corrosion was present on the bigger connector, but nothing burnt or dark colored. Lots of white and green scum though. The smaller one was perfectly clean. I was trying to get more access to the coil on that side so I wanted to un-do that harness and get it out of the way. I'll bet a dollar the bigger connector was the problem all along.

If I EVER have to do this again, the radiator and all the hoses are coming off too. The coils are almost as bad as trying to get those little springs rolled back on the carb boots. I still hate the carbs more.

Took it out afterwards for a couple hours. All went well. Even did 20 minutes of slow parking lot turns. Had the temp gauge up to halfway for most of it. Never died. Shut it off a couple times and it fired right off. I'll never know what exactly was wrong and I have a pile of spare parts and I don't know if they're good or not. Can't say for sure that it is even fixed, but for two glorious hours, it worked as I have become accustomed to.

Post subject: Re: Two words
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Well I'm glad to hear that you may have solved the cutting out gremlin on the '89.
I wouldn't be surprised that the big connector was the problem either. Now you can get on with more ease of mind riding.
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Now you have me wondering what connections I may have missed when I dielectric greased mine. Congratulations though. Sounds like you fixed it. Thanks for sharing.

"DIRTFT" Do It Right The First Time
2002 Voyager XII
:CBCGW:

b.gif i.gif l.gif l.gif gif_23.gif n.gif a.gif g.gif y.gif t.gif o.gif o.gif l.gif s.gif gif_21.gif c.gif o.gif m.gif
Cell Phone: Dg3.jpg Dg3.jpg Dg0.jpg - Dg5.jpg Pg1.jpg Dg5.jpg - Dg0.jpg Dg9.jpg Dg3.jpg Dg4.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The Count wrote:
Now you have me wondering what connections I may have missed when I dielectric greased mine. Congratulations though. Sounds like you fixed it. Thanks for sharing.

Wish I had more to share. I'm just glad it at least seems to be good now.

I will never know what exactly the problem was, but when I finally got the big connector apart and seen all the crap in it, I couldn't help but roll my eyes. And the smaller connector was perfectly clean. Never have gone back and looked to see what the four wires in the small connector are for.

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier were the four bolts on each side of the sub-frame that attaches to the frame and holds all the fairings in place. They were ALL loose, on both sides. I replaced that after I wrecked just to be safe. Then proceeded to do a poor job of tightening them correctly. One of the lower bolts that screws into the upper radiator mount had almost fallen out.

I'm a parts swapper. There are many times when being a technician would really work better. That this thing has rolled up as many miles as it has under my supervision speaks very well of the machine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

For how little Voyagers are going for, dump it & get a another one. Not worth the time screwing with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

voyager55 wrote:
For how little Voyagers are going for, dump it & get a another one. Not worth the time screwing with it.

I'm too close to 200K miles.

If it would just blow up, I would walk away. But it runs and rides too good for me to move on.

My 2008 Crown Victoria (PI) just rolled over 400K miles yesterday.

I don't change often. The low re-sale makes it very hard for me to not buy more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

A very long long time ago I was told "The cheapest vehicle you will ever own is the one you're driving now". This stuck with me not only for vehicles but everything I spend my hard earned money on. I wring the very last drop of service out of them and sometimes it involves buying a second or third for parts so I understand where both of you are coming from.
Usually due to my economic situation in life I can't afford to buy a good working whatsit/whatever, so I usually become proficient in the one I have that is working and run it to the very end of parts availability, but it is nice to just completely replace an old item once in a while.
Dave