abbikeboard.com

Touring on Motorcycles

It is currently Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did you know?
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

.....that it is possible to cross connect 9 pin and 7 pin connectors up under the fairing when re-assembling a Voyager for the upcoming season?

It is possible.

It will start and run too. However, the dash will be completely dead. I have never done that before. In the troubleshooting section for the lights in the meter assembly, having it hooked up properly isn't one of the things to be checked. Had I actually followed the instructions in the manual, I would have to give Carl a call and get a new to me meter ***'y. I do have to admit that the first step in testing the meter lights is to unhook/isolate it and that is about the same time I noticed what I did.

For the record, it shined up nicely and runs as good as it looks.

Edit.... I tried to abbreviate assembly but the filter shut that down.

Post subject: Re: Did you know?
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I did not know that. So did you patch into the radio connectors or just cross connect the white and black connector? Enquiring minds need to know.
I am trying to type the same abbreviation, let's see how it shows up: meter assy.
I bet the riding season must be getting in full swing out your way,
regards,
Dave

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Apparently the filter doesn't like apostrophes. Yours came through just fine.

The connectors I mixed up were both black. I put a black male (apologies for assuming gender of electrical fittings) 7 pin into the black female 9 pin. then did the same with the opposing set of connectors. Radio worked and was lit up, the dash was completely dead. All the fuses were and are still good.

I will also admit whilst I had everything back apart and already knew what I did wrong, I crossed up a pair of white and black connectors. When I turned the key on, the left turn signal light was lit, the right was partially lit, and the temp gauge went right to the moon. It didn't do any permanent damage, works fine now. On both bikes, when I first tore them down for winter, I used blue masking tape and marked all the connectors. All the tags are still on the '89 which I've handled far more than the '97. the '97 is missing a few tags. The problem with tags is it takes the thinking out of it and makes it real easy for non-detail oriented people to do things like this.

To make matters worse, I rode the '89 to work yesterday. While warming up, the dash/ headlight/marker lights all go dead. Yep. It's the @#$^-&^%$# 10 pin connector again. All I have to do is pull the fake tank , reach down in there and just touch it. Everything worked fine all day after that. Thought I had that all worked out too.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you found your mistake without too much trouble. Good to know too.
The filter is just trying to limit bad words. I set that up back in the day when there was a lot of scuffle in the Voyager community. I might have been a tad over zealous because of it. LOL.

"DIRTFT" Do It Right The First Time
2002 Voyager XII
:CBCGW:

b.gif i.gif l.gif l.gif gif_23.gif n.gif a.gif g.gif y.gif t.gif o.gif o.gif l.gif s.gif gif_21.gif c.gif o.gif m.gif
Cell Phone: Dg3.jpg Dg3.jpg Dg0.jpg - Dg5.jpg Pg1.jpg Dg5.jpg - Dg0.jpg Dg9.jpg Dg3.jpg Dg4.jpg

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

no worries Count. I just had to chuckle when it picked that up.

He's another Kawasaki goodie, just not motorcycle related....

I have an old Deere mower (F525) that has a Kawasaki "unitized power unit". The hydro and engine are one piece. I believe the hydrostatic runs off the engine cam or some such thing. Anyways, they have this ingenious oil drain valve. This thing screws into the block, and then perpendicular to the main body is a 10mm (wrench size) nut that turns and the oil drains out the back side of this T/ valve. Once you have the valve oriented to where you can get to it (clearance issues), there is a larger hex nut that can be turned to lock the body in place.

DID YOU KNOW...... that it is possible for the deck belt to pop off the pulleys and hit the aforementioned drain valve? It is possible. It is then possible to sit beside the machine and engage the electric clutch to try to see what in the ding dong he%^ is going on. From there you can see the drain valve laying on the ground. I don't know how long it takes to shut the engine off from that point, but it isn't long. Oil was still running out after I shut it down. It holds two quarts after all.

Life is just harder for some people. How many of you know the only way to sit beside the machine and engage the electric clutch is to by-pass the safety switch under the seat?

It still runs and drives just fine. Just can't mow because the belt keeps popping off. Just like motorcycles, I have some redundancy built in here. I have two F525s for just such a thing.