abbikeboard.com

Touring on Motorcycles

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear tire pressure
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Today I was getting the '97 ready for its turn and was going to put it up on the center stand to check air pressure in the rear tire.

Yep, you guessed it, I had problems with that maneuver. Just like everybody else who has ever dared to use the center stand, I had to pull the side bags off so I could put jacks under the rear crash bars to lift it high enough to get the first stage pointing the right direction (you know, down). It went past center and the feet were pointing to the front of the bike. I did what I always do, and it just kept going backwards. Got it lifted up and rolled the feet down and everything folded back up under the bike like it's supposed to. Nothing seems bent or in a bind, but I won't try it again unless there's someone else present just to help steady it.

I pulled the bags off so they wouldn't be destroyed when it fell off the jacks. I just assumed that would happen. It didn't though.

It has never before taken me 30 minutes to check the air pressure. Of course, it was right at 40 psi.

I've never had or heard of this before. If the center stand over extends like this, is it ruined? Seems like it would be, but it folded back up just fine. The rest of the day/ride was uneventful.

Post subject: Re: Rear tire pressure
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I will go to the secret location I have of spare radiators and center stands and investigate the possibility of over-center travel of the legs. I will report back to the remaining membership soon.
Scott there is a PM for you as well.
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Perhaps there is only something wrong with whatever stops it from moving too far. I've never had a problem with mine so I'm not familiar with the design. Please keep us posted though. That is a problem I've never heard of before on a Voyager.

"DIRTFT" Do It Right The First Time
2002 Voyager XII
:CBCGW:

b.gif i.gif l.gif l.gif gif_23.gif n.gif a.gif g.gif y.gif t.gif o.gif o.gif l.gif s.gif gif_21.gif c.gif o.gif m.gif
Cell Phone: Dg3.jpg Dg3.jpg Dg0.jpg - Dg5.jpg Pg1.jpg Dg5.jpg - Dg0.jpg Dg9.jpg Dg3.jpg Dg4.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

triton28 wrote:
I will go to the secret location I have of spare radiators and center stands and investigate the possibility of over-center travel of the legs. I will report back to the remaining membership soon.
Scott there is a PM for you as well.
Dave

Got it, and thanks.

The Count wrote:
Perhaps there is only something wrong with whatever stops it from moving too far. I've never had a problem with mine so I'm not familiar with the design. Please keep us posted though. That is a problem I've never heard of before on a Voyager.

All I've ever heard was praise for the center stand and have never had any trouble with any of the 3 I've used. The one on the '89 was damaged when I wrecked, and the bike wiggles when up on the stand, but I've done a 100 oil changes and changed several tires and it hasn't done this. I even spray Kroil up in there in the spring time just because. It just rolled over 40K miles this weekend, so over use isn't an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I took some photos but they were too big I was informed so I will try a smaller size tomorrow.
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

I will gladly resize them for you. Send to bill at nagytools.com if you want me to do that.

"DIRTFT" Do It Right The First Time
2002 Voyager XII
:CBCGW:

b.gif i.gif l.gif l.gif gif_23.gif n.gif a.gif g.gif y.gif t.gif o.gif o.gif l.gif s.gif gif_21.gif c.gif o.gif m.gif
Cell Phone: Dg3.jpg Dg3.jpg Dg0.jpg - Dg5.jpg Pg1.jpg Dg5.jpg - Dg0.jpg Dg9.jpg Dg3.jpg Dg4.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks for the offer Bill but I deleted them already.
I didn't get out today to the workshop to shoot some new sized ones so it'll be tomorrow.
If I still have the problem I will send them to you,
thanks,
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

had some time so I tried it out again. It works fine. I couldn't make it do that again.

I really wish I'd have taken a picture of it, but I was a little miffed at the time.

I don't get it, but it works just fine. Maybe the the pictures will shine some light on it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Never had that problem in 15 years of ownership pensif_28.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Scott;
Thanks to Bill for resizing the photos.

As you can see by the photos D and B if the stage 2 frame stops are OK and the stage 1 and 2 stop ears are good and not missing, then when one presses stage 1 down, as shown in photo A, it locks against the pipe of stage 2. However, if there is a hollow in the ground or the stop ears are missing then the feet of stage 1 will remain 90 degrees to stage 2, see photo C. lastly we see stages 1 and 2 down in their normal locked position, stage 1 having had solid contact with the ground below the feet, photo E.
So if your frame stops and ear stops are as shown it had to have been a fluke where the ground just didn’t get a solid bite.
I’m glad to hear it is no longer doing that as it could be somewhat disconcerting.
Anyhow, enjoy the pics and thanks to Bill for resizing them- I could not get them to work out and he was kind enough to offer to resize them for this digitally challenged senior.
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

triton28 wrote:
Scott;
Thanks to Bill for resizing the photos.

As you can see by the photos D and B if the stage 2 frame stops are OK and the stage 1 and 2 stop ears are good and not missing, then when one presses stage 1 down, as shown in photo A, it locks against the pipe of stage 2. However, if there is a hollow in the ground or the stop ears are missing then the feet of stage 1 will remain 90 degrees to stage 2, see photo C. lastly we see stages 1 and 2 down in their normal locked position, stage 1 having had solid contact with the ground below the feet, photo E.
So if your frame stops and ear stops are as shown it had to have been a fluke where the ground just didn’t get a solid bite.
I’m glad to hear it is no longer doing that as it could be somewhat disconcerting.
Anyhow, enjoy the pics and thanks to Bill for resizing them- I could not get them to work out and he was kind enough to offer to resize them for this digitally challenged senior.
Dave

Interesting pictures. You know how people say they've "been doing it that way for years and never had any problem"? That's what I said. I'm either on grass or gravel and always put down a steel or aluminum plate for the feet to sit on to keep it steady. Every now and again I miss the plate, and it either works normally anyway or rolls forward. I did miss the plate this time and the rest is history. I think your theory of a fluke hollow in the ground is a good one. I have to get down and verify the feet are lined up on the plate and still miss it at times. I also have two spots where there is just enough of a slope to make it roll to the rear a bit easier. That's part of this particular problem. Crazy.

For those wondering if I could have tried putting it in gear and attempted to drive back over it, I tried it. All that accomplished was warming up the rear tire. That's when the jacks came out.